11th Monaco Blue Initiative 2020 - Digital édition - 04/06/2020
The 11th edition of the Monaco Blue Initiative, planned for March 2020 in Monaco, had to be cancelled due to the Covid-19 outbreak. In the spirit of resilience and mobilization, His Serene Highness Prince Albert II of Monaco and the Steering Committee of the Monaco Blue Initiative, wished to keep the momentum and offer a space for debating and making progress on the themes of the 11th MBI through three online workshops.
28 may 2020 - #Workshop 1 :
" How can we place Marine Protected Areas and Other Effective Area-Based Conservation Measures
at the center of international discussions and act collectively for their development? ”
- Welcome address by HSH Prince Albert II of Monaco
- Keynote speeches by Ms Brune Poirson, Secretary of State to the Minister for the Ecological and Inclusive Transition, France and Mr Virginijus SinkeviÄius, Commissionner for Environment, Oceans and Fisheries, European Commission
- Discussion moderated by Mr Jose Maria Figueres Olsen, Former President of Costa Rica, Co-founder of Ocean Unite.
- Panelists: H.E. Mr Serge Segura, Ambassador of France for the Oceans, Dr Enric Sala, Explorer in Residence at National Geographic, Ms Sabine Jessen, Executive Director of the 5th International Marine Protected Areas Congress Secretariat, Government of Canada, Dr Atsushi Sunami, President of the Ocean Policy Research Institute of Sasakawa Peace Foundation, Ms Shirley Binder, National Director of Environmental Policy at Ministry of Environment, Panama & Edinburgh 2020 “Ocean Leader”.
9 june 2020 - #Workshop 2 :
“What lessons can be learned from community-led initiatives – and more generally by civil society – in the management and preservation of protected areas?”
- Keynote speech by Mr Andrés Couve Correa, Minister Science, Technology, Knowledge and Innovation, Chile.
- Discussion moderated by Ms Grethel Aguilar, Acting General Director, International Union for Conservation of Nature
- Panelists : Ms Haydée Rodriguez Romero, Vice-Minister Water and Seas, Costa Rica, Ms Esther Wolfs, Partner & Founder, Wolfs Company, The Netherlands, Prof Divya Karnad, Assistant Professor of Environmental Studies, Ashoka University, founder InseasonFish, Republic of India, Mr Marco Lambertini, Director General at World Wildlife Fund International, Mr Adam Miller, Co-Founder and Executive Director of Planet Indonesia & Edinburgh 2020 “Ocean Leader”.
24 june 2020 - #Workshop 3 :
“How can Blue Economy and sustainable management of the Ocean in the fields of tourism, transport, energy, fishing and aquaculture, be reconciled?”
- Keynote speech by Mr Jens Frølich Holte, State Secretary, Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Norway
- Discussion moderated by Ms Nina Jensen, CEO Revocean
- Panelists : Ms Maren Hjorth Bauer, CEO and Co-founder Katapult Ocean, Mr Rupert Howes, Chief Executive Officer, Marine Stewardship Council, Mr Wassim Daoud, Head Corporate Social Responsibility and sustainability, Ponant, Prof Carl Folke, Director, Beijer Institute and Stockholm Resilience Centre, Dr Ricardo Serrão Santos, Minister of the Sea, Portugal, Mr Hugo Tagholm, Chief Executive, Surfers Against Sewage & Edinburgh 2020 “Ocean Leader”.
More information :