Dates / Project duration
February 2021 - January 2023 / 2 years
Conservation of endangered species
Hellenic Society for the Study and Protection of the Monk Seal?
The project will take place in NMPANS and the neighboring areas of Skopelos, Skiathos, S.E Pelion and N. Evia, and Lichadonisisa islets; these areas host important Mediterranean monk seal populations (see project's map). The project will include:
- A public awareness campaign highlighting the benefits of human - seal coexistence
- Promotion of local citizen involvement through the creation of local volunteer schemes
- Promotion of practicing eco-friendly fishing tourism to local artisanal fishers in order to eliminate the negative effects of fishing - seal interactions.
- Scientific monitoring of the local monk seal population in the area and the effects of the project on the behavior of the species in the wider NMPANS area.
- Formulation of science-based concrete conservation measures in order to be formally adopted by the competent authorities.